For media enquiries call the DFES Media and Public Affairs team.
*Emails sent to the DFES media mailbox are only attended
to during the office hours of Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.
Phone: (08) 9225 5955
This telephone number is for media outlets only.
General Enquiries: (08) 9395 9300
During significant or prolonged emergency incidents DFES Media and Public Affairs will dispatch Media Liaison Officers’ (MLO) to the scene of an incident to coordinate interviews, manage requests and assist with media access.
During these large scale emergencies DFES provides media services 24 hours a day in response to media and community demands.
Dial Triple zero (000) for life threatening emergencies or to report a fire
Dial 132 500 if you need assistance from DFES’s State Emergency Service (SES) after an emergency or natural disaster
During an emergency where life or property is under threat, information is available by calling the DFES public information line on: 1300 657 209, online via the alerts page of this website and by listening to local radio news bulletins.
Street address Department of Fire and Emergency Services
20 Stockton Bend
Cockburn Central WA 6164
Postal address PO Box P1174
Perth WA 6844
State Media Duty Officer
The SMDO is able to assist media representatives with news, information and spokespeople during the specified times above.
When SES is the control agency, spokespeople can generally comment on:
- Overall response activities
- The location of affected areas
- Type of damage
- The number of SES units active
- The type of roles being undertaken by volunteers
SES spokespeople cannot generally comment on:
- Causes of accidents, incidents or emergencies
- Deaths or injuries
- Financial value of damage
Things to keep in mind when reporting on SES:
- SES personnel should be referred to as ‘SES volunteers’ rather than ‘SES workers’ or ‘SES members’
- Key safety messages are an important part of SES media releases and information – please broadcast them where possible
- Where possible, ensure vision and images accompanying SES media items are consistent with SES information and do not undermine safety messages or emergency warnings